Local 503 General Membership Meeting
Tuesday September 27th
31 Wellesley Street East (at Wellesley subway station), Membership Centre
Dinner at 5:30, meeting and webcast start at 6pm
Please RSVP below
- 2016-2018 Steward and Executive Elections
- 2016 OPS Conference and Divisional Meeting Elections
- Vote to Adopt Former Members of OPSEU Local 579 at 7 Queen’s Park Circle
- Review and Approval of 2016-2017 Budget
1. 2016-2018 STEWARD AND EXECUTIVE ELECTIONS
Every two years, our local elects its stewards and local executive. While a member can become a steward at any time, members who wish to run for a position on the executive must first be elected as a steward at this General Membership Meeting, in person or via proxy letter of acceptance.
The following positions are open for the 2016-2018 Local 503 Executive:
- Vice President OPS
- Vice President OCOT
- Vice President of Communications
- Trustee (two positions)
For position descriptions, please click here.
- Elections are overseen by our Staff Representative, David Loeffen.
- Any member in good standing can run for one of the above-noted positions.
- Any member in good standing who is not a steward can run for one of the two Trustee positions.
- You do not need to declare your candidacy in advance. To run, you simply have to be nominated by another member at the meeting, and then accept your nomination.
- A motion to allow candidate speeches will be voted on by attendees at the meeting.
- If you want to run for a position but cannot attend the meeting please give your nominator confirmation in writing that you accept your nomination. You may also send your nominator with a statement/speech to read on your behalf.
- You must be present during the vote to cast a ballot. The OPSEU Constitution does not allow absentee voting of any kind. This means that unfortunately, members attending via webcast can stand for election but cannot vote. Our local continues to push OPSEU to implement an online voting mechanism that will provide more opportunity for participation for our OPS Education Officers and OCOT Enforcement Officers throughout the province.
2. 2016 OPS CONFERENCE AND DIVISIONAL MEETING ELECTIONS
The 2016 OPS Divisionals Meeting has been called for:
Date: October 29 & 30, 2016
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Location: The Sheraton Hotel 123 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 2M9
The OPS Conference and Divisional Meeting is where we elect our Ministry Employment Relations Committees (MERC).
Any OPSEU member in good standing that is employed in the OPS can run for election to the divisional meeting. The nomination rules above apply. Only OPS members can vote in this election.
3. VOTE TO ADOPT FORMER MEMBERS OF OPSEU LOCAL 579 AT 7 QUEEN’S PARK CIRCLE
Earlier this year, most of the members of Local 579 moved to a new workplace in Toronto. Members located at 25 Grosvenor, 95 Grosvenor and 7 Queen’s Park Circle, however, did not move, and so a referendum vote was held by these members to decide which local they would join.
The members at 7 Queen’s Park Circle voted to join Local 503! We are looking forward to welcoming our new members, but first the members of our local must vote to adopt them. Our Regional Vice President, Myles Magner, will bring the results of this vote to the next OPSEU Executive Board meeting for final approval.
4. REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF THE 2016-2017 LOCAL 503 BUDGET
Your local executive is preparing a draft budget that will cover the remaining part of 2016 and all of 2017. If you have ideas or suggestions, please send them to OPS Vice President Jennie Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) or OCOT Vice President Razak Abdi (email@example.com) or bring them to the meeting! An financial statement will also be made available at the meeting.
NOTE: We will endeavour to send these two documents out to every member prior to the membership meeting. This is especially important for those tuning in via webcast.