Labour Day is coming up fast! So OPSEU Region 5 is inviting YOU to join hundreds of OPSEU members at this year’s Toronto Labour Day Parade on Monday, Sept. 7. And we’re asking for YOUR HELP to build a big, loud and proud OPSEU contingent.
Labour Day is a great time to join our labour allies, celebrate our victories – and kick off our fall campaigns to for good jobs, fair contracts and quality public services.
And it’s the perfect opportunity to get together with our union sisters and brothers and our families and friends and have some fun!
Over the past year, we've campaigned together for good jobs, a fair minimum wage, workers' rights and public services.
Solidarity not Austerity
But a year into her majority government, Kathleen Wynne is pushing hard for four more years of austerity, cutbacks, layoffs, wage freezes and privatization. Meanwhile, tens of thousands of OPSEU members – in the OPS, our community colleges and across the broader public sector – are in bargaining or getting ready to go to the table.
So Labour Day is an important opportunity to ramp up our mobilizing to bargain strong contracts, stop the cuts and concessions, and defend the services our communities need.
These are just some of the reasons why we are asking all OPSEU members – and our family, friends and allies to…
Join Us at the Labour Day Parade!
When: Monday, Sept. 7 at 9:00 a.m.
Where: University Avenue, east side,
south of Dundas St.
March: West on Queen St. to Dufferin and the CNE
Invite your OPSEU sisters, brothers & colleagues
Bring your family, kids & friends
- OPSEU T-Shirts and FREE ADMISSION to the CNE for all OPSEU members marching with us
- PRIZE for the OPSEU local with the best turn-out
- Snacks and drinks for marchers along the route. (Bring your own water.)
- Rides available for those with mobility issues. (Note: Spaces are limited. E-mail us early to reserve your seat email@example.com)
Three Ways YOU Can Help
Local leaders and activists like you are the key to building a big OPSEU presence at Labour Day. Here is how you can help:
- Get the word out. Please download, print, post and circulate the attached flyer to your members. (Note: A colour flyer and a black & white version are attached.)
- Help build the OPSEU contingent. Encourage your stewards and members to join us, and bring their families and friends – and plan to attend yourself.
- Volunteer. If you or any of your members are able to lend a hand over the next three weeks or on Labour Day itself, please let us know. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See You There!