OPSEU Local 503 is a composite local made up of over 600 members. Most of our members live and work in the Greater Toronto Area.
We are a composite local – our membership is represented in sixteen ministries of the Ontario Public Service:
- Ministry of Children and Youth Services
- Ministry of Citizenship, Immigration and International Trade
- Ministry of Community and Social Services
- Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Energy
- Ministry of Environment and Climate Change
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Ministry of the Attorney General
- Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development
- Ministry of Transportation
- Treasury Board Secretariat
- and Ontario College of Trades in the Broader Public Service.
In addition to members whose positions are based in Toronto but who work in field offices throughout the province, OPSEU Local 503 members can be found in eight different work locations in Toronto.
Here is your Local Executive Committee:
Adam Burns firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President OCOT
Laura Thompson (interim) email@example.com
Vice President OPS
Jennie Miller firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President Communications
Iain Herd email@example.com
Position vacant pending interim appointment and subsequent byelection
Laurie Simmons firstname.lastname@example.org
Stewards for the Ontario College of Trades
Click here for the list
Stewards for the Ontario Public Service
Click here for the list
THE LOCAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE (LEC) STRUCTURE
The Local 503 LEC is made up of the President, one Vice-President in each component (OPS and OCOT), Vice President of Communications, Treasurer, Secretary and Stewards. These are elected positions with a term of 2 years.
The Local Executive Committee is responsible for carrying out the financial and administrative business of the local under the terms set by the OPSEU Constitution. This includes: preparing and submitting quarterly audit reports, running a minimum of 2 General Membership Meetings per year, representing the membership at the LERC, facilitating member participation in bargaining, and organizing local events.
THE STEWARD BODY
All members of the Local Executive Committee are also Stewards. In addition, our local has stewards in all of our office locations in Toronto, and several remote OCOT Enforcement Officer stewards. Stewards assist the LEC to communicate with and represent the members.
The Steward’s Job in OPSEU is:
• Organizer and communicator
• Grievance handler
• A link to collective bargaining
• A link to the Local Executive
• A link to the central union
• A resource for members
THE GENERAL MEMBERSHIP - THAT'S YOU!
The General Membership is made up of everyone who is represented by the local. A minimum of twice a year, the local executive organizes General Membership meetings. At these meetings the members have direct say in the local budget, bargaining demands, and initiatives of the local. You can also be involved by bringing your comments and ideas to your stewards, or by becoming a steward yourself! By getting involved you ensure your union represents your needs.
29.5.1 The President shall enforce compliance with Bylaws and regulations of the Union and Local; preside at Local meetings; be an ex-officio member of all Local committees; generally supervise the affairs and operations of the Local; carry out such other duties as may be prescribed by Local Bylaws.
29.5.2 The Vice-President shall perform all the Presidential functions during any absence of the President and accept and exercise such other duties and powers as may be designated by the Local Executive Committee or the President. The Vice-President may also attend all functions (including all regional meetings and Conventions) of the Union, in place of the President when the President cannot attend.
29.5.4 The Treasurer shall be responsible for proper administration of the assets of the Local, including the operating funds.
29.5.3 The Secretary shall attend all meetings of the Local and keep Minutes; distribute notices to all members of the Local, as required; answer and/or forward all pertinent correspondence; and forward all pertinent membership information to the appropriate union regional office.
NEW - VICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNICATIONS (COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER)
Due to the size of the Local 503 membership and the need for timely communications, the Local 503 executive includes a VP Comms position.
Duties: using new and familiar communications methods, the VP of Communications will be responsible for disseminating information regarding or of interest to the local, and will also:
- Maintain, update and expand the Local 503 website (www.opseulocal503.org)
- Send meeting announcements and invitations to members, the steward body and the local executive committee (LEC)
- Forward regional and central OPSEU communications
- Work with the Secretary to post LEC, steward and general membership meeting minutes on the Local 503 website
- Facilitate communications with our OCOT enforcement officers and EDU education officers
- Oversee audio/visual at general membership meetings to allow remote members to participate